Job Title: Account Representative - Employee Benefits Account Manager
Department: Employee Benefits
Reports to: Account Executive - EB
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Code: EB13ARPN
Summary: The Account Manager will work collaboratively with the Account Executive and the Producer as the dedicated point of contact for clients. An Account Manager works directly with 8-12 clients to ensure that their welfare benefit plan needs and goals are met. The Account Manager is responsible for effectively managing their client’s annual enrollment periods, implementation of plan changes and coverage transfers. They develop relationships with clients and provide superior and comprehensive day-to-day account management. Additionally the Account Manager is required to maintain a strong knowledge of regulatory and compliance issues. This position does not have sales or financial analysis (of group health plans) responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Includes the following (other duties may be assigned):
1. Actively and effectively manages benefit annual enrollment periods and the implementation of plan changes and transfers of coverage. 2. Assists with day-to-day service issues and concerns, such as eligibility, claim and billing issues, and the like.
3. Tracks a large number of open issues, communicates thoroughly with clients and vendors to ensure a common understanding of each issue, where an issue stands at any given time, and ultimately how each issue is resolved.
4. Proactively acts as the key “go to” person for clients when welfare benefit plan issues arise.
5. Provides professional and accurate employee communications to clients, such as annual benefit enrollment period newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, benefit summaries, enrollment forms, etc. Conducts open enrollment meetings throught the year.
6. Secures and maintains current and up-to-date benefit plan documents including amendments, Summary Plan Descriptions, policies, etc.
7. Thoroughly documents issues so comprehensive client histories are developed and maintained.
8. Develops and maintains a working knowledge of current benefit plan regulations, such as ERISA, COBRA, Section 125/cafeteria plans, etc. so is able to provide sound guidance to clients on these issues.
Follows up on delinquent premium notices per procedure.
Follows agency policies and procedures including but not limited to client files, HIPAA compliance, and delinquent premium notices.
Updates Agency management system within thirty days after sale or renewal (plan changes, rate acceptance, etc.).
Participates in special projects/teams. Identifies areas to assist team members. Assists in workflow review and improvement initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred. A degree in business, human resources, health care administration or other related area is a plus.
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ account management experience in the welfare benefit plan industry is preferred, working for an employer, insurer/administrator or broker.
• Knowledge of group insurance (medical, dental, and vision, life and disability products) desired.
• Effective public speaking skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Ability to use available resources to research regulatory issues and provide clear, concise and accurate information and guidance to clients.
• Must have the ability to work under pressure and multi-task.
• Must be able to work independently and be detailed, organized and resourceful, motivating others inside and outside of the firm to accomplish goals.
• Be professional in both appearance and manner.
• Experience in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred. Experience with Publisher a plus.
• Experience with building and maintaining enrollment and benefit administration systems preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
All applicable insurance licenses.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as insurance policies, Agency policies and procedures, and safety rules. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of agency management software; Internet software; spreadsheet software, PowerPoint, word processing software and Microsoft Outlook.